Any other fans of White Queso out there? And no, I am NOT talking about it’s evil step sister, Queso Fundido. IYKYK. I was first introduced to this delicacy in Blacksburg, VA where I attended college and the world of Mexican food was forever changed in my eyes. Sadly, this tasty phenomenon found in seemingly all Mexican restaurants in the state of Virginia doesn’t seem to have caught on elsewhere. I’ve searched restaurant menus high and wide, traveled across the country, lived in the midwest and just over the Mexico boarder in San Diego, and White Queso is nowhere to be found. So naturally, I created my own recipe and it is delicious, if I do say so myself. Kevin and I eat some form of Mexican food at least once a week and this is ALWAYS on the menu. Plus it’s so simple and only three ingredients!
White Queso Recipe
- 1 lb. of White American Cheese (from deli, preferably not sliced but rather a block)
- 1/4 Cup of Milk (can also use cream for a richer flavor)
- 7oz. Can of Diced Green Chiles
- *Optional: 1 Tbsp of Juice from Jar of Jalapeños
- Break block of cheese into smaller pieces
- Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl (cook ~6 mins)
- Microwave for six minutes, stopping every minute to stir the mixture (depending on microwave strength it may require additional time to fully melt all cheese pieces)
- Serve warm with Tortilla Chips!
I love this as a standalone dip but it can also be drizzled on tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, you name it! I’m drooling just thinking about it, it’s that good. If you try it, be sure to tag @karalyssa_ so I can see how it turns out.